Mary’s Meals ("We") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Information we may collect
We may collect and process the following data about you:
You may give us personal information about you by filling in forms on our site or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise.
We collect and use the following types of personal data about our supporters:
Personal information such as
- Postal address
- Phone numbers (home, work and mobiles as applicable)
- Email address(es)
- Contact preferences
- Information given when registering to use or completing forms on our website
- Information on donations made
- Information that our supporters give us – for example when making donations, such as bank account details for setting up regular direct debits, credit card details for processing credit card payments, employer details for processing a payroll gift, or taxpayer status for gift aid purposes
- Information given when using our website; and
- Information given when taking part in Mary’s Meals’ social media functions or on our website.
The marketing preferences of our supporters and whether and when consent to receive marketing communications has been given or withdrawn.
Correspondence between supporters and ourselves (whether by telephone, e-mail or otherwise).
We also collect and use certain technical information about our supporters’ visits to our website which may include, for example, internet protocol (“IP”) addresses, login information, browser type and version, pages accessed, files downloaded, full Uniform Resource Locators, (“URLs”), clickstream to, through and from the website (including date and time), products viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages and page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs).
We collect the personal information set out above directly from supporters.
Supporters don’t have to disclose personal data to us to browse the website or to use our social media sites, but supporters do need to provide us with certain personal data in order for us to provide them with certain services.
The safety of children is very important to us. We do not knowingly collect the personal data of those who are under 18 years old without the consent of their parent or guardian. If you are under 16 please call us on (800) 385-4983 for further information.
We collect non-personal information that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, store, transfer, publish, promote, report and otherwise disclose non-personal information for any purpose, provided such information does not otherwise personally identify you. The following are examples of non-personal information that we collect:
- information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, mobile device, Internet Protocol (IP) address
- language preference
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from [any contracts entered into between you and us or] donations made by you to Mary’s Meals and to provide you with the information and services that you request from us
- to provide you, with information about services or programmes we feel may interest you. If you are an existing donor or volunteer, we will only contact you by e-mail, written letter or SMS, with information about services and programmes similar to those which were the subject of our previous contact. If you are new to Mary’s Meals, we will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please refrain from ticking the relevant box situated on the form or e-mail on which we collect your data (the registration form) or contact us
- to notify you about changes to our services
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- to ask you to participate in surveys
How we share personal data
We will share supporters’ personal data with Mary’s Meals International Organisation (company registration number SC488380 and charity number SC045223), which has its registered office at Craig Lodge, Dalmally, Argyll PA33 1AR (“MMI”) in their role as the provider of the Mary’s Meals supporter database platform. MMI will only access personal records of supporters if requested to do so by us, to assist us in the delivery of our services. Beyond this, we will only share supporters’ personal data if:
We or MMI are working with partners whom we or MMI have carefully selected to carry out work on our behalf, such as service providers and sub-contractors (for example, IT services providers and providers of technical, payment and delivery services) to perform any contract we or MMI enter into with them. The kind of work we or MMI may ask them to do includes processing, packaging, mailing and delivering purchases, answering questions about us and any services we provide, carrying out research or analysis to assist us in our mission and processing credit card payments.
We and MMI only choose partners we trust and only pass personal data to them where they have undertaken to keep your personal data secure. We do not allow, and we ensure that MMI does not allow, these partners to use your data for their own purposes or disclose it to other third parties and we will take all reasonable care to ensure that such partners keep your data secure; or
We are legally required to do so e.g. by law or by an order of a court of competent jurisdiction.
We will not sell supporters’ information. We will not share supporters’ information with other organisations other than as stated above.
Non personal information
We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our services, when you choose to do so
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about campaigns or programmes that may interest you or them.
Disclosure of your information
Any transfer of your personal information to any Mary’s Meals Affiliate will always be carried out in compliance with any applicable data protection legislation. Please note that if you are a non-European Economic Area (“EEA”) user of the Mary’s Meals website, your personal information may be transferred to the UK, before being transferred to a Mary’s Meals Affiliate in your jurisdiction. By using the Mary’s Meals website, you are agreeing to any such transfer of your personal information.
Mary’s Meals may disclose relevant information about you to our contractors in order for them to provide specific services for Mary’s Meals such as website hosting, professional services, including information technology services and related infrastructure, customer service, e-mail delivery, auditing and other similar services. Mary’s Meals’ contractors are bound to keep all personal information they process confidential.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in order to perform services you request or functions you initiate, such as when you post information and materials on message boards and forums, including on our Facebook page. When you post information in a public forum it becomes public information. In addition, we may disclose your personal information in order to identify you to anyone to whom you send communications through our site and social media pages.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties if Mary’s Meals or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its donors and volunteers will be one of the transferred assets.
SMS terms of service
1. When you opt-in to the service, we will send you an SMS message to confirm your signup.
2. Messages sent to users detail the Mary’s Meals Text Message campaign to add more supporters into the database who are interested in learning more about Mary’s Meals USA.
3. You can cancel the SMS service at any time. Just text "STOP" to the short code. After you send the SMS message "STOP" to us, we will send you an SMS message to confirm that you have been unsubscribed. After this, you will no longer receive SMS messages from us. If you want to join again, just sign up as you did the first time and we will start sending SMS messages to you again.
4. If at any time you forget what keywords are supported, just text "HELP" to the short code. After you send the SMS message "HELP" to us, we will respond with instructions on how to use our service as well as how to unsubscribe.
5. We are able to deliver messages to the following mobile phone carriers: Major carriers: AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular, Alltel, Boost Mobile, Nextel, and Virgin Mobile. Minor carriers: Alaska Communications Systems (ACS), Appalachian Wireless (EKN), Bluegrass Cellular, Cellular One of East Central IL (ECIT), Cellular One of Northeast Pennsylvania, Cincinnati Bell Wireless, Cricket, Coral Wireless (Mobi PCS), COX, Cross, Element Mobile (Flat Wireless), Epic Touch (Elkhart Telephone), GCI, Golden State, Hawkeye (Chat Mobility), Hawkeye (NW Missouri), Illinois Valley Cellular, Inland Cellular, iWireless (Iowa Wireless), Keystone Wireless (Immix Wireless/PC Man), Mosaic (Consolidated or CTC Telecom), Nex-Tech Wireless, NTelos, Panhandle Communications, Pioneer, Plateau (Texas RSA 3 Ltd), Revol, RINA, Simmetry (TMP Corporation), Thumb Cellular, Union Wireless, United Wireless, Viaero Wireless, and West Central (WCC or 5 Star Wireless). ***Carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages***
6. As always, message and data rates may apply for any messages sent to you from us and to us from you. You will receive one message with link. If you have any questions about your text plan or data plan, it is best to contact your wireless provider. For all questions about the services provided by this short code, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where we store your personal data
If you are resident in a country outside the EEA, the data that we collect from you may be transferred to, stored at and processed in, that same country outside the EE; and may also be processed by staff operating from that same country outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the processing of your donation payment details and the provision of support services.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any donation transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for contacting you directly. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Data Protection Act 1998 (Act) gives you the right to access information held about you. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.